Tenancy Agreements & Deposits
A tenancy agreement is a contract between the tenant and the landlord stating the expectations of each party.
At EPIC homes we create a personalised tenancy agreement which clearly states your rights and responsibilities as a tenant or landlord.
Having a strong tenancy agreement is the best way to achieve a harmonious and stress free tenancy.
Tenancy Deposits – Landlords
If you rent out a house on the basis of an assured shorthold tenancy, the deposit must be held in the tenancy deposit protection scheme regardless of who the deposit is made from. The deposit must be paid into the scheme within 30 days of receiving it. At the end of the tenancy the agreed deposit should be returned to the tenant within 10 days. If there are any disputes, then the deposit will remain in the scheme until the issue is resolved.
Tenancy Deposits – Tenants
Prior to commencing your tenancy you will be requested to pay a deposit. This is then held for safekeeping until the expiration of the tenancy.
At the end of the tenancy, deposits will be returned subject to certain conditions:
- All keys to be returned on the last day of tenancy.
- Copies of finalised utility bills demonstrating that there are no outstanding amounts on your account.
- If you are a student tenant please provide a copy of your council tax exemption form
- If you are a professional tenant please provide a copy of your finalised council tax bill.
Once you have vacated the property it will be inspected with an inventory completed.
Deductions will be made from your deposit if:
- You fail to return all keys, or fail to return them on time at the end of your tenancy
- There is any damage to the property
- The property is not clean
- Personal items have been left
- Rubbish has been left
- There are outstanding debts to Business Name